Saturday, August 18, 2012

Row as council refuses to foot car repair bill

BRISTOL City Council is refusing to pay for repairs after a stone flew up from a council mower and damaged a passing car.

An accountant was on a business trip to Bristol when he drove passed the sit-on mower.

Despite the council worker admitting he was at fault the city council subsequently refused to pay the bill of nearly £300 for repairs to the two-year-old VW Golf.

George Georgiou, 54, was driving around White Tree roundabout on the Downs when the stone flew into the side of his car from a grass-cutting machine that was trimming the verge.

Mr Georgiou, from Manchester, said: "I pulled over and spoke to the council worker who apologised and acknowledged responsibility on behalf of the council, giving me his name, the name of his manager and contact details so that I could get in touch to claim for the repair.

"He was even happy to sign a declaration that I wrote up on some paper I had in my car outlining what had happened.

"When I returned to Manchester, I called the manager's name given by the roadside worker from the Downs Ranger department and he said that he would pass the claim to the insurance department.

"While waiting I had to get the damage repaired as I had already sold the car, and paid £260 plus VAT for the repair in trust that I would be refunded the cost once the insurance department processed the claim.

"I had no reason to believe otherwise after the roadside worker took responsibility and believing that, as a government body, Bristol City Council would be trustworthy and decent."

But Mr Georgiou said nine days later he was contacted by the city council's insurance department who told him that the council could not accept liability for the damage. He said they used legal jargon which he alleged was an attempt to put him off making a claim.

He said: "They kept advising me to seek legal advice in the full knowledge that it would cost me more to do so than the value of the damage."

Mr Georgiou then contacted the council's complaints department who sided with the staff from insurance services.

He also contacted the council's insurers who said that the roadside worker was not authorised to make a decision about the council's liability.

Mr Georgiou said: "The stone hit my car door a few inches from the glass with great force and could well have smashed through and injured me.

"I wonder what their response would have been if it had hit me in the face and blinded me."

A council spokeswoman said: "The city council sympathises with Mr Georgiou and understands his frustration but our position and that of the council's insurer is quite clear – we have not been negligent and are therefore not liable for any claim.

"As with any grounds maintenance works, all reasonable checks are carried out: our grounds staff have all been fully trained; the mower was serviced and working properly with all the guards in place and a sight inspection of the area had been carried out prior to mowing.

"This was an unfortunate accident and we suggest that if Mr Georgiou wishes to pursue this matter further he seeks legal advice."

Row as council refuses to foot car repair bill

phoenix dui attorneys chicago asbestos attorneys missouri mesothelioma lawyers

No comments:

Post a Comment